Nora McIlquham – our latest addition – was born on July 10th. Today she is eight weeks old so I thought I would write a post of the top ten items that we have loved so far and can’t imagine doing without. When I was preparing for her arrival I found lists like this VERY helpful. Each one was different so it was helpful to read what different people found helpful and allowed us to determine exactly what would work best for our family. You never really know what will be most helpful until your babe is on the ground but I hope this list will help whomever comes across it.
Our mantra when preparing for the baby was to make our lives and the transition to parenting as easy as possible with a focus on good quality, attractive and gender neutral items.
- Boppy Newborn Lounger : As soon as we brought Nora home from the hospital I opened up the packaging to this amazing item – literally 5 minutes after being home – and we’ve used it daily ever since. Light and easy to move around Nora spent many hours napping and enjoying her lounger beside Ben and I while we cleaned, cooked or were just relaxing on the couch. Here is one of the many pictures of Nora in it.
- Peas in a Pod Bottoms Up Bum Spray : OKAY! I wish I could be a spokesperson for this product. One of Ben’s colleagues bought us a bottle of this and our lives have been changed ever since. Prior to using this we were using various diaper creams to keep Nora from getting a diaper rash and keep her feeling fresh and clean. This product is SO. MUCH. BETTER – I spray it when cleaning her up and then give her a spray or two before re-applying her diaper to keep her fresh. It’s a spray so it’s FAST, it smells great and you don’t get the mess that comes with diaper cream. As far as I’m concerned- if there was one product on this list that you decide to purchase- make it this one.
- Plain Coloured Zipper Onesies : I was told by a friend that zipper (not snap up) onesies are the way to go- she was SO right. I only received one as a gift and it was a newborn size so when Nora grew out of it I was on the hunt for some more. I was also on the hunt for plain sleepers. It seems that everything available these days is patterned and very gender specific. I found a few brands with plain onesies but they were American based and going to be pretty pricey to order. When I found these sleepers on the Old Navy website I was ecstatic. Plain, great price and zippers! I ordered three colours in 0-3 months size and 4 in 3-6 months. They make nighttime diaper changes much easier and in my opinion, look adorable!
- Keekaroo Peanut Diaper Changer : When I told Ben that I wanted this fairly pricey diaper change pad he was skeptical. I went ahead and got it and here is why we ALL THREE of us love it. You will spend A LOT of time changing diapers – why wouldn’t you invest in this?! Reason 1- it looks awesome. Reason 2 -it’s not cloth so you can wipe it clean of any accident. It seems that at least twice a day she has an accident while on the peanut and so being able to just wipe it clean is a game changer. Reason 3- Nora loves it. She hangs out, smiles, coos and some of our best moments have been on this peanut with our little peanut.
- Native Wilds Nest : Having Nora in the summer I knew I would want some kind of cover for her car seat for when we are out and about. When I found this one- which also doubles as a nursing cover and shopping cart cover- I was sold by the stripes. It makes her car seat/stroller look more trendy, blocks the sun and bugs, the bottom can fold up and cover her legs when it’s chilly. It’s been awesome and I can’t imagine not having it. I bought this Native Wilds one because it was available at our local baby/kids shop, but there is also one by Milk Snob that I’m curious about and may have purchased it if I knew this brand was out there when I was looking.
- Summer Infant Swaddle Me – 3 Pack : These have been a lifesaver. We got one as a gift and then I ended up buying another later – I wish I had just gotten the three pack as linked here. Nora tends to jolt a lot in her sleep and I am sure that these are what has helped us to get longer stretches of sleep through the night. They keep her arms next to her body and also keep her warm. They are easy to do up and you are going to want more than one for when the other is in the laundry.PS: She wiggles her way down the bassinet like this every night..
- Comfy Bras : Prior to Nora’s arrival I bought a couple of nursing bras and tanks. They are great but I’ve learned that a light cotton bra like these ones are MUCH better. Here’s my case. Nursing bras have snaps. When you are balancing a fussy, hungry, crying baby trying to get your top off or up and then also unsnap your bra isn’t the easiest. These bras I can just fold the cup down and away we go. Nursing bras have THICK straps. Post baby your body image may struggle- I know mine did – and having Nora in the heat of the summer it was hard enough to find tops that I was comfortable in, let alone finding one and then realizing that my clunky nursing bra looks awful underneath. Comfort. These bras are super comfortable. Post-baby I am bigger than a DD and so although these bras have less support, they are still really covering and comfortable. They are lighter which makes it nicer in heat and at this cheap price point they are much better than trying to find a decent + DD nursing bra.
- Avent Soothie : I wasn’t 100% sure we would use a soother with Nora. A couple of weeks in she was wanting to feed very frequently and it was becoming exhausting and we didn’t know how else to sooth her- so we tried a soother. These are her favourite. We don’t use them all the time but when we are trying to stretch out a bit of time between feedings they really do help. Because Nora is still so small she can’t exactly hold her own soother in so these soothers actually have an indent in the centre which make them really easy to hold in her mouth when trying to calm her down- especially when we are on the go. Another plus- you can buy this brand at all major pharmacy’s and grocery stores so if you are need on the go – you can be sure to find a replacement.
- The Honest Company Laundry Detergent : Baby clothes are small and sometimes it takes a little while to build up enough of her clothing and blankets for a load to wash in that special baby detergent. I was so happy to buy a bottle of this Honest Company detergent because I can wash both our clothes and Nora’s in the same load. I haven’t done this with the other baby detergent because the fragrance is quite “baby scented” and Ben and I don’t really want our clothing smelling like this. The Honest Company detergent basically has no scent. I’ve linked here to Canadian Tire but you can buy these products are various locations – Chapters/Indigo, many grocery stores, amazon, or directly from the Honest Company’s website.
- Puj Hug Hands-Free Hooded Towel : This towel is amazing and SO soft. I only have the one towel for her because I do laundry enough that I don’t feel like I need a bunch so we decided to splurge on the one we got and I’m SO glad we did. Nora loves being wrapped up in it after her bath, it soaks up water super fast for when she does get fussy and the clasps on the towel allow me to wear it to keep me dry (will be more useful when she starts splashing around) but also make it easy for wrapping her up post-bath. I highly recommend it!